Hanne was admitted as a Barrister and Solicitor in 1996, going to the Independent Bar in 1998. She has a broad range of commercial, civil, public law, disciplinary and regulatory litigation experience.
Hanne specialises in providing sound, pragmatic and commercial advice to individual and corporate clients. In addition to excellent technical and analytical abilities, and a problem-solving approach, she recognises the importance of providing clear strategic guidance, which focuses on economic and commercial objectives.
Experienced in trial and appellate advocacy in superior courts and specialist tribunals in New Zealand, Hanne has also been involved in overseeing litigation in the NSW Supreme Court. She provides voluntary services to a Citizens Advice Bureau Legal Clinic.
A focus of her practice has included alternative dispute resolution and she has attended numerous mediations spanning complex individual and corporate disputes. In 2015 she became an accredited mediator, as well as completing the Harvard Law School Program on Negotiation Advanced Mediation Workshop, and a specialised multi-party elder/adult mediation course in the USA through Elder Decisions®.
Hanne is also involved in governance, and is currently a Commercial Director at ProCare Health Limited, nib nz limited, nib holdings limited, and on the Board of Trustees of the ProCare Charitable Foundation.
Areas of Practice
- General commercial, civil and public law litigation, including judicial reviews
- Employment Law including contracting, redundancy, disciplinary and personal grievance issues
- Health Law, including Inquests, privacy breaches and data protection
- Competition and Fair Trading including Commerce Commission investigations
- Regulatory compliance, including Health and Safety
- Professional liability: investigations, discipline and negligence
- Wills and Estates including Family Protection Act proceedings
- Relationship Property
- Acting as Counsel Assisting the Coroner in the Inquest into the death of Christie Marceau
- Acting as Counsel Assisting Gisborne Commission of Inquiry into Cervical Screening
- Acting as Counsel for Interveners in Diagnostic Medlab Ltd v Auckland District Health Board
- Appointment as Amicus Curiae for High Court extradition proceeding
- Appointments as Amicus Curiae for Human Rights Review Tribunal hearings
- Risk assessments, legal audits and advisory work for organisations (private corporations, Crown Research Institutes, SOEs and Government departments) with respect to compliance with Health and Safety legislation, including advisory work relating to earthquake-prone buildings and review of requirements prior to re-occupation of premises by staff
- Advising health practitioners, including their professional and regulatory bodies, in respect to registration issues, complaints, competence assessments, disciplinary investigations and hearings, employment disputes, business partnership disputes, regulatory investigations, Coroner’s Inquests, privacy issues, human rights matters, etc.
- Providing strategic, business, marketing and legal advice to a range of organisations, including review of commercial contracts, policies and procedures; restructuring and change management; external out-sourcing; internal and external compliance
- New Zealand Law Society
- Institute of Directors
- Mont Pelerin Society
- Barrister, City Chambers: July 2016 to present
- Partner and Healthcare Team Leader, DLA Phillips Fox: 2013 — 2014
- Barrister, Quay Chambers: 2008 — 2013
- Barrister, Shortland Chambers: 2005 — 2008
- Barrister, Nine Princes Street Chambers (precursor to Bankside Chambers): 1998 — 2005
- Crown Prosecutor, Meredith Connell: 1996 — 1998
Qualifications, Awards and Scholarships
- Accredited Mediator, LEADR & IAMA (2015)
- Certificate, Harvard Law School Program on Negotiation Advanced Mediation Workshop
- Certificate, Elder Decisions® elder/adult family mediation workshop
- Fellow, Wolfson College, Cambridge University, UK
- LLB (Hons), Auckland University: Senior Scholar in Law
- BA (double major Economics and Political Studies), Auckland University: Senior Scholar in Political Studies